The Night My Local LLM Became My Project Manager (and Actually Delivered)

It started as a harmless experiment at 11:47 PM: "Could my local LLM help me plan tomorrow?" I was behind on a small side project-a CLI tool I'd promised a friend-and my brain was doing that special midnight thing where everything feels urgent and impossible.

I run a local model for privacy and speed (no API calls, no "rate limit exceeded" drama). I opened my terminal, fed it the mess in my head-half-finished tasks, vague goals, and one hard deadline-and asked: "Act as my project manager. Make a plan that I can follow in the morning."

Within two minutes, it was assigning me work like it had a clipboard and a grudge.

The Setup: Turning a Chatbot into a PM

The trick wasn't "be smarter," it was "be specific." I gave it three inputs:

1) The goal: "Ship v0.1 of the CLI tool by Friday. It must: parse a config file, run two commands, and output a report."

2) Constraints: "I have 90 minutes tomorrow morning, 45 minutes at lunch, and 2 hours at night."

3) Current state: "Parsing works. Command runner is flaky. No tests. README is blank."

Then I asked for a plan in a format I could execute: "Return a checklist, timeboxed, with dependencies and a definition of done for each task."

What I got back looked like an actual sprint plan: a staged checklist (Morning/Lunch/Night), each item with acceptance criteria, and a warning about risk ("command runner flakiness will cascade; fix first"). It also suggested a tiny scope cut: "Defer fancy formatting in reports; output JSON first." That one decision saved my Thursday.

The Night It Started Managing Me

Here's where it got weirdly effective: I kept it open while I worked, and it became a live PM.

When I said, "The command runner fails on Windows paths," it didn't just sympathize-it asked a clarifying question: "Are you shelling out through a single string or argv array?" Then it recommended a concrete change and a mini-test matrix: "Test with spaces, unicode, and quoted args."

When I drifted into polishing the README at 1:30 AM, it called me out: "This is not on the critical path. Move README to 'Night block' after tests." Rude. Correct.

The most useful pattern was a tiny loop:

  • I paste what changed (a diff snippet or a short description)
  • It updates the plan (what's done, what's blocked, what's next)
  • It writes the next prompt (a command to run, a test case, or a commit message)

Example: I asked for "a commit message that matches conventional commits," and it generated: `fix(runner): handle paths with spaces by using argv array`.

By 2:13 AM, my backlog had turned into a clean kanban: "Now / Next / Later," with clear definitions of done. I didn't feel like I was "chatting with AI." I felt like I had borrowed someone's executive function.

Practical Tips If You Want Your Own LLM-PM

If you try this, make it earn its keep:

  • Force structure: Ask for outputs in tables or checklists with time estimates and dependencies.
  • Insist on acceptance criteria: "Done means X passes and Y is documented."
  • Add a status ritual: Every hour, paste: "What I finished / what's blocking / what I'm about to do."
  • Use scope cuts deliberately: Ask: "What can I defer without breaking v0.1?"
  • Keep it local for sensitive work: Specs, customer notes, and logs stay on your machine.

The next morning, I didn't wake up to a guilt fog. I woke up to a plan that was already written-and a tiny, tireless project manager waiting in my terminal, ready to ask the question I usually avoid: "What's the next smallest thing?"





Related Reading:
* Cursors Strange billing practices feels like an upcoming problem, on a large scale
* Collaboration Across the Company: Driving Reliability, Performance, Scalability, and Observability in Your Database System
* CREATE INDEX: Enhancing Data Retrieval with Indexing in SQL
* A Hubspot (CRM) Alternative | Gato CRM
* A Trello Alternative | Gato Kanban
* A Slides or Powerpoint Alternative | Gato Slide
* My own analytics automation application
* A Quickbooks Alternative | Gato invoice
* Data Warehousing Consulting Services In Austin Texas
* Data Visualization Consulting Services Austin Texas
* Nodejs Consulting Services
* Data Engineering Consulting Services Austin Texas
* Advanced Analytics Consulting Services Texas

Powered by AICA & GATO

Need help with your next project? custom software built in Austin, Texas can bring it to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Your Local LLM Is Stuck (and 3 Fixes That Actually Work)

Data Privacy and Security: Navigating the Digital Landscape Safely

Social Media Marketing: The Complete Guide