The Day I Realized My AI Agents Were My Best Employees (And How I Started Managing Them)
I didn't set out to "hire" AI. I was just trying to stop dropping balls.
It happened on a Tuesday-the kind where Slack won't stop, customers want updates, and your calendar looks like Tetris. I asked my AI agent to summarize a customer call, pull related tickets, draft a follow-up email, and update my CRM notes. Ten minutes later, it had done all of it, neatly labeled, with links and a suggested next step. Meanwhile I was still staring at my inbox trying to decide what to do first.
That's when it clicked: my AI agents weren't just tools. They were employees-specialists, really-who never forgot instructions and never got tired.
The moment it stopped being "automation" and became "a team"
At first, I treated the agent like a fancy shortcut: "write this," "summarize that." But the best employees don't just execute-they reduce your thinking overhead. The breakthrough was giving my agents clear roles and recurring responsibilities.
Here are three roles that made the difference:
1) The Inbox Triage Assistant: Every morning it scans new emails, groups them into buckets (urgent, needs reply, FYI, can delegate), and drafts short replies in my tone. Practical example: if a vendor asks, "Can we move the meeting?" it proposes 2-3 times based on my calendar rules.
2) The Customer Ops Agent: After every call, it produces a "call packet": summary, action items, risks, and a pre-filled follow-up email. Bonus: it checks past tickets and notes so it can say, "This resembles issue #1842; last time the fix was X."
3) The Content Repurposer: I drop in a rough outline or a messy voice note transcript. It turns it into a blog draft, then extracts a LinkedIn post and a short newsletter version.
None of this is magic-it's just consistent workflows, applied relentlessly.
How I learned to manage AI agents like real employees
When humans struggle, you coach them. When AI agents struggle, you tighten the system.
What worked for me:
- Write job descriptions, not prompts. Instead of "summarize this," use: "You are the Customer Ops Agent. Your output must include: 5-bullet summary, decisions, open questions, next steps, and a follow-up email under 120 words."
- Define 'done' and 'don't.' My inbox agent has rules like: "Never send anything; only draft. Never promise timelines. Ask me if customer is angry or legal is mentioned."
- Give them context packets. I keep a lightweight folder: brand voice examples, FAQ, pricing notes, and standard operating procedures. Agents perform dramatically better when they're not guessing.
- Add a QA step. My best "employee" is actually two agents: one produces, one reviews. The reviewer checks for missing links, wrong names, and overconfident claims.
- Track performance like a manager. I literally keep a tiny scorecard: time saved, error rate (did I have to fix facts?), and "reuse value" (can I copy/paste the output?).
The day I realized my AI agents were my best employees wasn't because they were smarter than people. It was because they were consistent, fast, and eager to follow a process-as long as I acted like a real manager and gave them one.
If you're overwhelmed, don't ask, "What can AI do?" Ask, "What role do I need filled this week?" Then hire an agent for that job.
Related Reading:
* Text Integration in Data Visualization: Beyond Labels and Titles
* Annotations and References in Explanatory Visualizations
* My first album release is lofi, Chill, Relaxing, and on YouTube.
* A Hubspot (CRM) Alternative | Gato CRM
* A Trello Alternative | Gato Kanban
* A Slides or Powerpoint Alternative | Gato Slide
* My own analytics automation application
* A Quickbooks Alternative | Gato invoice
* Data Warehousing Consulting Services In Austin Texas
* Data Visualization Consulting Services Austin Texas
* Nodejs Consulting Services
* Data Engineering Consulting Services Austin Texas
* Advanced Analytics Consulting Services Texas
Powered by AICA & GATO
Looking for an Austin, Texas software development shop? Learn more at dev3lop.com.
Comments
Post a Comment