The Day I Discovered AI Agents Could Write Better Code Than Me (And What I Did Next)
I didn't "discover" AI agents in a lightning-bolt moment. It was more embarrassing than that.
It happened on a Tuesday afternoon when I was wrestling with a refactor I'd been postponing for weeks: a tangle of conditional logic, half-duplicated helper functions, and comments like "TODO: make this not terrible." I asked an AI agent to draft a cleaner version expecting something... fine. Instead, it handed me code that was not only cleaner, but also easier to test, easier to read, and annoyingly consistent.
The moment it out-coded me
The agent's first win wasn't clever algorithms-it was basic engineering hygiene.
I fed it a simplified prompt: "Refactor this function to be easier to test; keep behavior identical; add unit tests." The before-code had a long function doing validation + parsing + persistence + logging. The agent responded with:
- Small pure functions (validate, transform, persist)
- Dependency injection for the DB and logger
- Tests that covered edge cases I'd mentally waved away
Here's the kind of pattern it introduced (pseudo-ish JavaScript):
- Before: `saveOrder(req)` did everything.
- After: `parseOrder(req)`, `validateOrder(order)`, `saveOrder(db, order)`, and an orchestrator `handleOrder({ db, logger }, req)`.
The kicker: it didn't just split the function-it gave the split a shape that matched how we actually work. If you've ever tried to operationalize that kind of "make it maintainable" request across a backlog, the workflow angle matters. I later modeled the same approach using a code agent for kanban workflows so the refactor tasks, tests, and review steps stayed connected instead of becoming scattered TODOs.
How I started using agents without losing my judgment
The first week, I made the classic mistake: treating the agent like a vending machine. "Here's code, give me better code." That's how you get elegant nonsense that compiles.
What worked was turning the interaction into a tight loop with constraints:
1) Tell it what must not change
- "Behavior must remain identical."
- "No new dependencies."
- "Keep public function signatures stable."
2) Give it a target
- "Reduce cyclomatic complexity."
- "Increase test coverage for edge cases."
- "Make error handling explicit."
3) Force evidence
- "Show a test that fails before and passes after."
- "List assumptions about input."
One practical example: I had a flaky retry wrapper around API calls. The agent rewrote it with exponential backoff and jitter, but I required it to include tests for:
- max retries reached
- timeout behavior
- non-retriable error codes
It did-quickly. My job shifted from "write every line" to "set constraints, evaluate tradeoffs, and verify." That's not outsourcing thinking; it's reallocating attention.
If you want to roll this into real team habits (not just personal experiments), it helps to see what "agent + workspace" patterns look like in practice-especially around handoffs, PR creation, and task boundaries. This overview of workspace agents teams can ship is a useful reference for making it repeatable instead of magical.
The uncomfortable lesson: my value moved upstream
The day I realized an agent could write better code than me was the day I stopped measuring myself by keystrokes.
I'm still responsible for architecture, risk, and correctness. I'm the one deciding whether a refactor is safe, whether a test is meaningful, and whether a "clean" abstraction actually matches the domain. The agent can draft, propose, and even impress-but it can't own the consequences.
Now when I get stuck, I don't ask, "Can AI do my job?" I ask, "Which part of my job should I stop doing manually?" That question has made me faster, calmer, and-ironically-more proud of the code I ship.
Related Reading:
* Learn about our Portfolio
* Unparalleled Processing Speed: The Power of Quantum Computing
* Windsurf & Cursor, easier than Tableau, Power BI, Alteryx, and Myspace
* A Hubspot (CRM) Alternative | Gato CRM
* A Trello Alternative | Gato Kanban
* A Slides or Powerpoint Alternative | Gato Slide
* My own analytics automation application
* A Quickbooks Alternative | Gato invoice
Powered by AICA & GATO
Need a software development partner in Austin, Texas? Dev3lop builds custom software, full-stack web applications, and data engineering solutions.
Comments
Post a Comment